The pledge is meant to remind us that WE are a part of something larger than ourselves; a mission to educate the millennial generation and change the future by saving lives.
Text Tastefully- TADPOLES want their digital legacy to be tasteful.
- Information texted to someone or posted to social networks is potentially viewable to any and everyone. Any pictures and text posted to these sites are permanently accessible on the internet. We cannot stress the importance being aware of what kind of photos and text posted.
Always Respectful- TADPOLES respect the road, each other and also themselves.
- 7 out of 10 admit to text messaging while driving. While 71% of teen girls and 67% of teen boys who have sent or posted sexually suggestive content say the content was intended for a boyfriend or girlfriend. “Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself.” Abraham J Heschel
Drive Safely- TADPOLES do not want to be statistics.
- In 2009 six thousand teens died in car accidents because of texting while driving. In a very short amount of time it has become the #1 killer of teen drivers, surpassing drinking and driving. We strive to make our highways, roadways and neighborhood streets as safe as possible.
Pass on Positivity- TADPOLES feel that positive people produce positive purpose.
- 53% of kids admit having said something mean or hurtful to another person via text message or social site. More than 1 in 3 have done it more than once. Issues like cyber-bullying on cell phones and social media sites have teenage suicides on the rise. Our purpose is to be a pivotal part of changing these statistics.
Obey the Law- TADPOLES know that without order, there is chaos.
- 28 states have signed laws banning text messaging while driving as well as a ban on cell phone use by drivers under 18. Laws in Georgia have been put in place that can result in charges of criminal solicitation, corruption of a minor and even possession of child pornography. Many don’t understand the potential long term repercussions including legal ramifications to bad behavior.
Loves to Learn- TADPOLES recognize education as the opening to new choices.
- The first text message was sent December 1992, from a personal computer to a phone, to say “Merry Christmas”. Today text messaging is the most widely used mobile data service, with 4.1 BILLON text messages sent and received each day. Technology is ever evolving and so we must evolve as well.
Educate Others- TADPOLES believe educating others is the key to longevity
- Students are outpacing parents and educators on their use of cellular technology, mobile applications, wireless devices and social media. We want to create a cultural shift about using cell phones responsibly.
Socialize Sensibly- TADPOLES respect the power of technology.
- Social networking has become a new meeting ground, with over 650 million people on social sites. This has opened up new waves for cyber-crime, especially the ones that are new to the technology wave. Because of that it is more important than ever to make sure people are aware of the risks of scams, privacy issues and viruses.